Hybrid / Blacksburg, VA
Front End Developer
Enterprise Systems supports the Virginia Tech community by developing, coordinating, and managing application software systems and enterprise data to provide critical information services for university constituents. In this position, you will design, develop, and document front-end user interfaces under general direction. You will provide technical input on complex projects and serve as an expert in one or more business or functional areas.
In addition, the Front-end Developer will:
● Participate in the development, implementation, deployment, and testing of responsive user interface components. Includes new functionality, enhancements, and defect resolution.
● Prepare detailed program specifications, identifying required inputs, coordinating the solution deployment with the user department, and ensuring satisfactory results.
● Investigate user problems and needs, identify their source, and determine possible solutions.
● Analyze user enhancement requests to include identifying potential problem areas and recommend optimum solution approaches.
● Handle multiple assignments simultaneously and collaborate with colleagues.
● Instruct, guide, and check the work of other technical personnel and perform quality assurance review.
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant work experience in Computer Science, Information Technology, Business, or related field
● Demonstrated experience in full lifecycle user interface development including requirements gathering, business analysis, development, troubleshooting, testing, and implementation
● Demonstrated understanding of responsive design principles
● Exposure to Web Accessibility Content Guidelines (WCAG)
● Strong interpersonal, organizational, critical thinking, attention to detail, and communication skills with the ability to work effectively across internal, external organizations, and virtual teams
● Advanced degree in Business, Computer Science, Finance, Information Technology, or related field
● Web Accessibility certification, such as IAAP WAS
● Experience with Git and automated CI/CD pipelines
● Experience with Docker containers and/or managing applications in a containerized environment
● Experience with business processes and applications supporting Higher Education
● Experience working with Ellucian Banner systems
$60,000 – $88,000
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Brittany Bane at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: May 4, 2023
Applications close: Open until filled