Job no: 525093
Work type: Staff
Senior management: Vice President-Info Technology
Department: Telecommunications Auxiliary
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Categories: Information Systems / Technology
Network Infrastructure and Services (NI&S) is part of the Division of Information Technology at Virginia Tech. We provide advanced network, communications, public safety, cable television, and data center services. We design, deploy and operate enterprise scale, high-performance computing and communications networks. Come join us in ensuring that Hokies have direct access to reliable, leading edge, high-speed national and global research networks and facilities for teaching and learning, research, administration, and community service and engagement.
NI&S is a dynamic and exciting organization with a commitment to continuous improvement and is seeking an enthusiastic and motivated person to fill this role. Members of our team will have an opportunity to learn and grow in an environment where all members of the team are expected to:
■ Work cooperatively with others as part of a highly functional team
■ Recognize and respect the practices, customs, values, and norms of other individuals, groups, and cultures
■ Focus on identifying and satisfying partner needs
■ Build positive and professional working relationships
■ Listen actively and effectively
■ Understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives
■ Present ideas and concepts clearly utilizing effective verbal, written, and visual communications skills
■ Manage time and prioritizes tasks to ensure assignments are completed according to established expectations
■ Demonstrate self-discipline and reliability
As a member of our Network Infrastructure Installation (NII) team, you will contribute to the successful delivery of products and services related to telecommunications infrastructure that supports Virginia Tech’s communication networks. These networks meet the operational, academic, social, and research needs of over 33,000 students and 8,000 faculty/staff.
Although not limited to the following, the position’s responsibilities will include:
● Conducts infrastructure site surveys, planning and design.
● Provide direct supervision of teams responsible for capital, renovation, and life-cycle management projects performing the planning, coordination and installation of cabling and telecommunications infrastructure following NI&S and industry best practices.
● Develop project budget estimates and manage costs throughout the lifecycle of the projects.
● Perform and supervise the installation, repair and maintenance of the University voice, data and video systems.
● Perform and supervise the activation of various telecommunications services.
● Perform and supervise fusion splicing, termination and testing of optical fiber.
● Perform and supervise installation of Category 6/6A station cable, termination of RJ-45 jacks and perform certification of station cable to ensure compliance with university and industry standards.
● Ensures that the team is productive and that workmanship and installation practices conform to the Virginia Tech Design and Construction Standards.
● Ensures that all staff members receive required safety training and use proper safety equipment when required.
● Maintain documentation related to infrastructure, work orders, material and labor.
● Plan, facilitate, and monitor the professional development of subordinate employees.
● Engage subordinate employees in developing goals, executing plans, and delivering results.
● Motivating employees to accomplish goals by communicating clearly and consistently.
● Travel required.
● Must have extensive experience performing installation and repair activities on network infrastructure systems.
● Must be able to communicate effectively and to work independently while maintaining highly accurate documentation.
● Must be able to work with minimal supervision, and accurately follow oral and written instructions.
● Understanding of telecom structured cabling standards.
● Must be proficient with the use of personal computers, cable testers and electrical multi-meters.
● Must have a valid driver’s license with a good driving record and have a background check with favorable results.
● Must have strong communication and interpersonal skills, and able to effectively function as a team member.
● Degree in electronics or telecommunications.
● Supervisor experience performing installation and repair work on voice, data and video systems.
● BICSI Technician certification.
$54,243 – $62,000
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact India Eanes at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: March 20, 2023
Applications close: Open until filled