This is a Careers Position
Apply today! https://careers.pageuppeople.com/968/cw/en-us/job/527518/it-support-specialist
The Collaborative Computing Solutions (CCS) department within the Division of IT at Virginia Tech is working to ensure that faculty, staff, and students at the university have access to robust tools and environments to empower innovation and collaboration at all levels. To support this mission, CCS is seeking a highly motivated individual that enjoys working with others to resolve IT support-related issues to join our team.
CCS directly manages the following services for Virginia Tech
• University Email Services (Gmail and Exchange Online)
• VT SaaS Environments (Google Workspace for Education, Microsoft 365, and Slack)
• Cloud Accounts and Services (AWS (Amazon Web Services), Microsoft Azure, and GCP (Google Cloud Platform))
• Secure Virtual Environments (Hyper-V)
• VT Active Directory (On premise-AD and Azure Active Directory)
• Manage the department’s Tier 2 IT support request queue and ensure all incidents are addressed in a timely manner
• Directly engage with customers and IT partners to facilitate the resolution of support requests
• Assign incidents requiring elevated permissions for resolution to Tier 3 team members as needed
• Follow established policies and procedures to ensure operational excellence and efficiency
• Evaluate and suggest improvements to support processes where needed
• Maintain and update incident tracking logs daily
• Diagnosis and troubleshoot customer technical issues
• Create and maintain up-to-date documentation and procedures around all work efforts
• Assist in the development of new reports for tracking support improvement goals
• Learn new technologies and skill sets with direction
• Participate in planning meetings and contribute to team efforts
PLEASE NOTE: Sponsorship is not available for this role.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, IT related field or equivalent work experience in a related field
• Experience with IT incident management or help desk
• Experience working in one or more incident ticketing systems, such as ServiceNow or Remedy
• Experience following documented procedures and instructions
• Experience troubleshooting account access or email issues
• Basic knowledge of fundamental LAN/WAN technologies and internet protocols
• Self-motivated with the ability to manage tasks independently or as part of a team as assigned
• Strong interpersonal, communications skills and the ability to help explain technical issues to non-technical users
• Customer-focused attitude with a desire to learn and help others
• Experience preparing reports or dashboards
• Experience developing or presenting training content
• Experience working with Microsoft 365 apps, such as Exchange Online, SharePoint, etc.
• Experience working with Google Workspace apps, such as Gmail, Google Drive, etc.
• Experience working with Slack
• Familiarity with modern authentication protocols, such as muti-factor
• Relevant professional certifications such as CompTIA Security+ or related
• Working knowledge of remote access configuration and methods, version control systems, or configuration management systems
$47,000 – $55,000
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact IT Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: October 24, 2023
Applications close: Open until filled