This is a Careers Position
Apply today! https://careers.pageuppeople.com/968/cw/en-us/job/526530/senior-director-of-it-dc-area
Reporting to the Executive Director of IT Experience and Engagement, this position is responsible for championing best practices and managing a team that leads IT services and support for faculty, staff, and students at Virginia Tech sites in Alexandria, Arlington, and Falls Church Virginia and will represent the Innovation Campus and the region on university committees and ad hoc groups. The Senior Director will also advise university and Innovation Campus leadership on ways to implement their strategic IT Services vision for the DC region. The role serves both as a proven Business Leader and a proven IT leader to fully leverage a unique model providing both central and distributed IT services supporting administration, instruction, and research activities. These services are offered by collaborating with multiple IT service owners, leading a regional IT staff, and representing the DC area in university committees and through interactions with both central and distributed IT leadership. The Senior Director is an IT leader that leads teams to improve relationships, deliver, and support technology solutions.
The Senior Director is responsible for driving the following initiatives:
• Developing and implementing a strategy and roadmap for IT organizational excellence in support of Virginia Tech sites in the Northern Virginia region.
• Developing a stakeholder engagement plan for expanding and deploying a common support model for IT support service capabilities across the university by building relationships that ensure the Division of IT maintains good relationships with the people whose work we impact.
• Defining, implementing, and leading a strategy to drive adoption of service management and operational best practices utilizing the ServiceNow platform.
Key Responsibilities Include:
• Fostering continuous service delivery optimization and improvement.
• Identifying resources and sourcing of IT service operations support.
• Planning for, documenting, and delivering excellent IT services and support to Virginia Tech sites in the DC area through service delivery in consultation and collaboration with service owners within the Division of IT and distributed IT units. IT Service Management (ITSM) principles and best-practices should be utilized for all IT services.
• Responsible for the development and implementation of IT strategic plans, policies, and procedures for the DC area, aligning with the overall University IT strategy.
• Managing the regional IT budget, in collaboration with ITEE leadership to ensure the efficient and effective allocation of resources while maintaining high-quality IT services and support.
• Leading, including recruitment, supervision, and training, of the IT team, by fostering a culture of continuous improvement and innovation within the team, promoting professional development opportunities, and encouraging creative problem-solving.
• Ensuring the IT team is cross trained to facilitate support in multiple roles, at multiple sites, across the region.
• Represent the IT community of practice in the DC area in university-level discussions through university committees or direct interaction with IT leadership in colleges, institutes, departments, and within the Division of IT.
• Act as an ambassador for the Division of IT, promoting the division’s mission and vision both internally and externally. Develop and maintain strong relationships with stakeholders across the University, including faculty, staff, students, and IT leadership to ensure effective communication and collaboration.
• Ensure compliance with all relevant laws, regulations, and University policies related to information security, privacy, and data management.
• Discover, research, explore, and communicate about technologies that can positively benefit the users of IT services in the DC area.
• Master’s degree in computer science or information systems, or equivalent degree, or relevant experience and training that is comparable to an advanced degree
• Significant experience managing and leading a team of IT professionals
• Strong organizational and communications skills
• Knowledge of IT Service Management Processes
• Ability to communicate effectively with customers and work professionally and courteously with all levels of teams to evaluate and improve core processes for more efficient outcomes
• Ability to work independently, effectively prioritize, and execute tasks without supervision and the ability to manage multiple simultaneous tasks and projects
• Understanding of project management principles and excellent planning skills
• Experience on a technical service desk/helpdesk and familiarity with incident management software
• Strong assessment and analytical skills
• ITIL Foundations (V.3 or V.4) certification
• Advanced degree in Computer Science or Information Systems, or equivalent degree
• Significant experience with ITIL and ITSM tools from a strategic perspective
• Experience in higher education and with culturally diverse populations
• Knowledge of Virginia Tech and Commonwealth of Virginia personnel policies
Salary commensurate with experience with a budget maximum of $160,000
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact IT Human Resources at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: July 31, 2023
Applications close: Open until filled