Information Technology Select Category and delete this line
This is a Careers Position
Senior Escalation Engineer
Job no: 526316
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: Vice President-Info Technology
Department: Telecommunications Auxiliary
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia, Hybrid
Categories: Information Systems / Technology
Network Infrastructure and Services (NI&S) is part of the Division of Information Technology at Virginia Tech. We provide advanced network, communications, public safety, and data center services. We design, deploy and operate enterprise-scale, high-performance computing, and communications networks. At NI&S, we hire bright, enthusiastic people with diverse skills, talents, and ideas to serve our more than forty thousand customers across the university. NI&S is a dynamic and exciting organization with a commitment to continuous improvement and is seeking an enthusiastic and motivated person to fill this role.
As a Senior Escalation Engineer of the Operations Escalation team, you will provide technical leadership and contribute engineering expertise to the implementation, management, operation, and support of many of the university’s most important IT services. These services include Virginia Tech’s unified communications and emergency communications systems, security camera systems, centralized logging, IT notifications, and enterprise backups. In this role, you will find exciting opportunities to expand the connectivity of on- and off-campus locations over many thousands of endpoints, supply timely notifications to the university at scale through a variety of communication channels, enhance IT business intelligence and security compliance, and enable real-time support for emergency first responders. You will be an advocate for continuous product refinement, improvement, and service evolution to enable Virginia Tech to achieve its goals. Our team is comprised of professional, approachable, collaborative staff who are dedicated to facilitating these crucial IT functions in service to the university community. Come build with us!
Members of our Escalation team will have an opportunity to learn and grow in an environment where all members of the team are expected to:
● Serve as technical leaders for customers, service delivery partners, junior operational and escalation team members providing consultation and support via phone, email, chats, and in-person meetings.
● Deliver value by collaboratively solving customer problems, providing proactive support advice, promoting service quality and enhancements, and creating self-help resources to improve customer and employee success.
● Actively participate in service strategy, architecture, and design activities with a focus on identifying opportunities to improve and optimize interactions between the development and operations teams.
● Contribute to the success of other team members through mentoring peers, conducting knowledge transfer and training sessions.
● Collaborate with service owners, architects, and departmental leaders to identify opportunities to improve the reliability and performance of critical infrastructure services and applications, ensuring they meet the requirements of internal and external users.
● Master’s degree in a STEM or related field or a combination of of training and experience that equates to a Master’s degree.
● Strong interpersonal, organizational, and communications skills
● Extensive experience providing technical leadership in an enterprise environment
● Extensive experience designing, developing, and operationalizing enterprise technology services
● Expert knowledge and understanding of networking, cybersecurity, systems and application administration practices
● Refined ability to troubleshoot and diagnose complex problems in many disciplines and technologies
● Strong listening, verbal, and written communications skills
● Demonstrated expert domain knowledge through the achievement of relevant industry certifications
● AWS certification or experience
● ITIL certification
● Agile CSPO or CSM certification
$100,000 – $115,000
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Amber Pifer at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: July 12, 2023
Applications close: Open until filled