Accounting Finance Select Category and delete this line
This is a Careers Position
Systems Engineer II
Job no: 527625
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: Vice President-Info Technology
Department: Systems Operations
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Categories: Information Systems / Technology
Network Infrastructure and Services (NI&S) is part of the Division of Information Technology at Virginia Tech. We provide advanced network, communications, public safety, and data center services. We design, deploy, and operate enterprise-scale, high-performance computing, and communications networks. NI&S is a dynamic and exciting organization with a commitment to continuous improvement and is seeking an enthusiastic and motivated person to ﬁll this role.
As a member of our Systems Operations team, you will contribute to the design, implementation, and operation of Virginia Tech’s centralized compute and storage services. We provide operational support for servers and storage that host Virginia Tech administrative and support applications. Our solution scope ranges from high-availability virtual infrastructure to ﬂexible and secure cloud resources. Systems team members participate in the provisioning, installation, conﬁguration, operation, and maintenance phases of in-house and cloud-based applications. We provide the infrastructure and platforms to enable numerous services and teams across the university. Come build with us!
Members of our team will have an opportunity to learn and grow in an environment where all members of the team are expected to:
● Provide Linux systems administration and other routine operational tasks
● Provide support to enterprise computing resources, supporting services, and applications
● Develop, enhance, and maintain tools or scripts to assist in provisioning, administration, and performance monitoring
● Utilize knowledge, assets, and resources to participate in project planning to develop solutions that meet business requirements
● Contribute to complex aspects of team projects
● Learn new technologies and skillsets, including infrastructure automation, advanced storage solutions, and cloud infrastructure
● Utilize existing policies, processes, and best practices to ensure operational excellence and eﬃcient workﬂow
● Create and maintain up-to-date documentation of services and functions
● Be self-motivators with the capacity to work independently with minimal supervision as well as in a team environment
● Master’s Degree in a STEM ﬁeld or a combination of education, training, and experience equivalent to an advanced degree.
● Working experience as a systems engineer or administrator in an enterprise environment
● Demonstrated interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
● Significant knowledge of Linux administration, storage conﬁguration, networking conﬁguration, development concepts, cloud or container deployments in an enterprise environment
● Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and diagnose moderately complex problems in areas of proﬁciency
● Working knowledge of conﬁguration management systems (Ansible, Puppet, Chef, etc.)
● Demonstrated experience in writing scripts or code leveraging version control systems
● Demonstrated ability to develop and document procedures related to the deployment, operation, troubleshooting, and management of systems
● Professional Linux systems or AWS certiﬁcation (RHCSA, RHCE, LPIC, LFCS, Linux+, GIAC, AWS Certiﬁed Solutions Architect – Associate.
● Working experience with RedHat/CentOS or related Linux distributions.
● Working experience with Ansible and/or Ansible Tower/AWX.
● Demonstrated experience building and managing CI/CD workﬂows and tools.
● Demonstrated experience building and deploying containers via orchestration tool(s).
$85,000 – $90,000
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact IT Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: November 2, 2023
Applications close: Open until filled