Adjacent to the Virginia Tech campus, the research park is home to top research & development, software, aerospace/defense, and start up/early seed companies. Our vision is a world where big thinkers turn ideas into impact. And, that’s just want companies here are doing with the brightest from Virginia Tech.
Undergraduate and graduate students apply what they have learned in the classroom to real-world environments through unique and challenging projects during internships. Often times, after internships have concluded, students are offered full time employment after graduation. We are a park where we value the ideas of these innovative young minds and why we want to highlight some who are creating impact.
“I get to create new things and collaborate with all the other engineers, while still getting to work independently too. Getting the chance to have this real, hands-on work experience has really pushed me to become a well-rounded engineer.”
- Job Responsibilities: I work mainly with the testing engineers, and I focus on designing and new projects versus maintenance.
- What were your reasons for picking this internship opportunity? I liked the fact that they were in Blacksburg. I really enjoyed the VPT environment from the start and the people who work here.
- How has this internship prepared you for your future career goals? Learning more than I ever expected, especially in different engineering fields that I would not get exposure to without this internship. I have also gotten a lot of public speaking and communication experience.
- What has been your favorite part about this internship? The people at VPT have been my favorite part of my internship. They make the environment so welcoming, and they are always willing to help.
- Would you recommend VTCRC internships to others? I definitely would recommend internships in the VTCRC to other students, it is an amazing experience and I have really enjoyed it.
- Would you work for a company within the research park after graduation? I would consider working here after graduation. The atmosphere at the VTCRC is great and I would be willing to explore career opportunities within the research park in the future.
“I have always wanted to be an engineer. My grandfather actually worked in the VTCRC for Phoenix Integration, which is an aerospace engineering company. When I was very young, he would take me to his office and show me the blueprints of what he was working on, and that just hooked me immediately.”
- Job Responsibilities: I work in the production lab, so I mostly focus on side projects as well as documentation. I also do a little bit of hands-on work to aid the mechanical engineers in production.
- What were your reasons for picking this internship opportunity? I went to high school in Blacksburg, and I met VPT through my robotics team, as a sponsor for my team. I stayed in contact with the company and was extremely interested in what they were doing. When I made it to college, I reached out to VPT’s Blacksburg branch, and I talked to him about a possible internship, and I have been with them since.
- How has this internship prepared you for your future career goals? I think the overall experience of working here has been the most valuable. I have learned a lot about both mechanical and electrical engineering. But I have also learned a lot about how professional engineers work in their day-to-day life, and what my career will look like once I graduate and become a professional engineer.
- What has been your favorite part of this internship? Seeing the things, I have designed and created, being used within the company has been really cool. I enjoy the hands-on work that I am allowed to do. But seeing things I have imagined and designed turn into a reality is my favorite part. Networking and meeting people whom I aspire to be like have been great as well. I have also really enjoyed being able to use their facilities to create prototypes.
- Would you recommend VTCRC internships to others? Yes, very much so. Not only is it very accommodating when it comes to school schedules, but the experience that I have gotten here is unbelievably valuable.
- Would you work for a company within the research park after graduation? Yes, most definitely. VPT is mostly electrical based, but they also focus on aerospace, which is also something I am extremely interested in. So, if I had the opportunity to continue working here after graduation, I would most definitely take it because it would involve everything I am passionate about.
“You are included in so much here; it isn’t your average internship. Everyone is so willing to help, and the atmosphere here is great.”
- Job responsibilities: As the accounting intern, I work with data entry, with both physical and digital mail. I also work on bigger projects, such as reconciling past months.
- What were your reasons for picking this internship opportunity? I was looking primarily for an accounting internship, and there were a few, but they did not stand out to me like Card Isle did. But once I talked to David, I felt like we connected well, and he was very welcoming. The atmosphere here is something I look forward to, and it makes the job that much more enjoyable.
- How has this internship prepared you for your future career goals? It has shown me what you start off with, and how everything works within a real company. I have learned so much through classes, but they lack a lot of the hands-on experience that I am getting at Card Isle. Having an insight into the inner workings of a company has given me a better understanding of what to expect in the real world.
- What has been your favorite part of this internship? Being able to reconcile things from past months and learning how to work through any errors. It is really cool to show my supervisor what I found and get her opinion and also have a say in Card Isle’s accounting decisions.
- Would you recommend VTCRC internships to others? Yes, it is awesome. Not only is it local, but the atmosphere here is unmatched.
- Would you work for a company within the research park after graduation? Yes, if I found a job within the park that focused on public accounting, I would most definitely consider it because I have loved my experience here.
“Everyone that I’ve met in the VTCRC has been incredibly nice. They let you learn and figure things out on your own, but the second you ask for help they are immediately there for you. I have such an amazing support system here.”
- Job Responsibilities: I focus on making sure the tenants at COgro are settled in and are happy with their workspaces. I also help plan events for the tenants, all while maintaining organization for the coworking space.
- What were your reasons for picking this internship opportunity? I really liked the idea of working in a coworking space, because you get to meet so many different people that all have unique stories. I also automatically connected with my boss, Andrea, so right from the beginning I felt welcomed.
- How has this internship prepared you for your future career goals? I have done a lot of innovative marketing for COgro, so not only have I gained experience in marketing, but I have also learned how to be more adaptable and creative.
- What has been your favorite part of this internship? Working in a coworking space is a lot of fun, and I also get exposed to a variety of entrepreneurs and professionals which can lead to professional connections. You meet so many people working in a coworking space, that all have diverse backgrounds, and each one of them can talk to you and teach you something different. It is also a very flexible work environment, so I never feel overwhelmed working during school. It has most definitely taught me how to effectively manage my time, which is such a great skill to have.
- Would you recommend VTCRC Internships to others? I would absolutely recommend VTCRC internships to other students. The environment is so welcoming, and everyone here is so nice and willing to help where they can. Working at the CRC is also really convenient, especially since it is right in Blacksburg.
- Would you work for a company within the research park after graduation? If I knew I had a really good job opportunity at the VTCRC, it would be incredibly hard to turn it down because Blacksburg is incredible and the VTCRC is just a really welcoming environment.
Through the VTCRC, Virginia Tech students have the chance to apply their classroom education. With its dynamic and modern ecosystem, we offer internship positions in various industries for students in most majors. Internship opportunities throughout the park prepare students for their careers, while encouraging them to create, collaborate, and disrupt the future of their industry. Students can learn more about opportunities by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with their resume or visiting our company directory. Full time jobs and internships are also posted here.
Written by Becca Halm